In the age of the information superhighway, people are more prone to seek and find love from behind the computer screen. It’s become both a blessing and a curse for people tend to pretend more times than not and that can lead to problems such as betrayal. The latest craze is “catfishing” where someone develops an online relationship with another for months, or even years yet they are “in love” with only a profile picture and there’s been no physical contact. Some only reach out via social networks such as Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram. There are various ways to build a relationship with someone. Some have even lead to long lasting happy marriages. Here are some tips to make sure that you can find what you seek without being taken for a ride.
1. When creating an online profile, remember that it is a reflection of who you are since it is the first thing that a person sees. Do not have a photo of 4 people including yourself. How can one know who is who?
2. Ladies, refrain from showing cleavage, thighs, ass crack and suggestive poses. Unless that is what you are selling, it is inappropriate. Men are visual creatures but a simple smile featured in a headshot is fine.
3. Men, no one wants to see your abs, crotch, or other muscles. If you are there to find a sex partner, then that’s fine (Far be it from me to judge). A simple photo with you in your natural surroundings works fine.
4. Tell the basic information but do NOT LIE. You will get caught in your lie eventually. Give information that will make someone want to date you, yet giving them reason to want to get to know you more.
5. Be open-minded. Step out of your element. You just might find a mate that you otherwise wouldn’t consider and it would be the best decision ever.
6. Utilize video chat such as Skype or Oovoo when distance plays a factor.
7. Last but certainly not least. BE CAREFUL! There are a lot of crazies out there and you might get a few of them trying to find your soulmate. Your first date should be in a mutual, well lit area. Coffee is acceptable and going dutch is welcome. Take it slow. You might not mesh at first and its good to maintain a rapport before getting too deep too fast.
Here are some sites free and otherwise www.match.com, www.eharmony.com, www.pof.com, www.okcupid.com, www.blackpeoplemeet.com
Enjoy and be safe!